Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Kadhai Veg Tofu

Kadhai Veg Tofu

One of my favorite recipes and a very special to my heart.  As, I was craving spices and paneer after a long restricted low fat & less spices diet for almost an year due to  my gal bladder removal surgery in Sep 2015.  I didn't touch any kind of fat for 6months. And after 6months also i was not able to digest any fat easily. And being such a foodie indian, I use to even dream of spices. But, the moment i eat fat my liver will start crying and start giving me stomach cramps. And i realized i have to wait for my body to get use to of fat. Now, there is no way i would risk eating paneer. So, my foodie brain decided substituting tofu instead of paneer. And as i love the Kadhai masala. I has to be Kadhai Tofu with few veggies. 

It turned out very awesome. It's an amazing healthy entree for dinner parties too if you have any vegetarian fitness freak friends like me.  

Kadhai Masala Recipe:

Serving: 4 ppl

Ingredients:
4 pcs Kashimiri Whole red chilly or (2-3pc whole regular red chilly)
1 tsp. Fennel Seeds (Saunf / Variyali)
2 tsp. Whole Jeera
3 tsp. Whole Corriander Seeds / Dhania
1/2 tsp. black Pepper
Method: 

Roast all the ingredients dry in a pan and coarse grind it. And use them for Kadai Paneer dry or with gravy. I normally make masala right before I make Kadai Panner.

This measurement is for a serving for 4-5people of Kadai Panner. You can put more or less masala as per your spice preference.

Kadhai Tofu & Veg
Ingredients:

2 pack extra firm tofu
2 medium onion cut in cubes
1 big / 2 medium green bell pepper cut in cubes (you can use multicolor too)
2 medium tomatoes cut in cubes
3-4 medium or small chill chopped big
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp red chilly powder
Kadhai Masala
Salt to taste
1-2 tbsp of oil (I used olive oil)
1 tsp kasoori methi leaves hand crushed for seasoning 

Ginger Juliennes for serving.

 Method:

Buy extra firm tofu from market. I bought it from Costco. Need two out of 4 pack. Remove tofu from the box drain the water and then wrap it in a cloth or bundle of paper towel and press it under a heavy weight. (I used Mortel). Press the tofu for 30-45 minutes so the water gets soaked and tofu get well firm as paneer.

In a Kadhai or wok heat oil. Once heated add hing & Ginger garlic paste. Sauté it for 1minute on medium heat then add cubed onions, sauté them for 2-3minutes, add bell pepper & green chillies. Sauté for 2mins. Then add half of the Kadhai masala to it and stir it for a minute. Now add tomatoes and sauté them for 1minute and add turmeric, red chili powder, tofu, salt and Kadhai masala. Sauté it well. Cover the lid of wok or Kadhai for 2minutes so that masala Sips in well in tofu. Open lid sauté for 2-3minutes. Sprinkle kasoori methi and serve it hot.

Enjoy!!

P.S. You can add broocoli, bean and carrots to it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment